Thursday, October 30, 2008

Kudos on the parental skills.


I was talking to my friend the other night about the book "Captivating" and how I've always scoffed at it and he said, "Well, not everybody is as confident in their beauty as you..." which I thought was interesting. I didn't know I come off so confident. then he asked me how I managed to get that way, sure of myself. I didn't really know exactly why, it must have been my parents but I couldn't give him examples.

But I've been thinking about it now. And there are a few reasons for my confidence, my assurance of my value:
1. my family is a good place for girls to be. My mom grew up in a house where her brothers were valued in a more obvious way. The boys carry on the family name, they're more important to the family. And she had awful self-esteem and a nasty teenage-hood. So now her house is different–girls are great and are just as important in family and society as boys.
2. I never felt un-loved. My family is really expressive, always communicating. I always knew why I couldn't do things and I always understood that everything was done because I was loved by my parents. They always gave me enough responsibility, but didn't overwhelm me.
3. I wasn't pampered or princessed to death–I'm not even sure those things give girls a sense of self-worth at all. I was taught to love and to serve, to help out other people before myself and to be responsible for my actions. But my hard work and my creative endeavors were always appreciated and I was always included in the efforts of the family.

So I realize now that I am sure of myself because I was treated by my parents how they would like to be treated. I was valued as a person, not just as a child or as a girl. My value didn't depend on whether or not I did well in school or sports, whether I was cute or sweet, whether I was a boy or girl, whether I was responsible or irresponsible, but just because I was theirs and every child should be loved and appreciated.

thanks mom and dad :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw, katie. I love you so much. :)

The Confetti Monster said...

"the greatest thing you'll ever learn
is just to love
and be loved
in return."

XD