Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How am I not myself?

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

I feel like I'm missing an anchor, like I'm just careening off walls, disoriented. I don't know what's causing this, it's probably a lot of things. Like the fact that I'm getting older and I can't run to my mom for everything anymore. I spent my life at home, that was my foundation. But now, though I'm still living at home, my mind resides somewhere else. I feel like I'm floating between adolescence and adulthood. Like that Britney Spears song. No longer a girl, not yet a woman... or something. Forgive me for that.

I don't know what I need. I know what I want. But I'm not sure that that's a solution. "I don't want what I always want, nobody does, not really!" to quote Coraline ;) But I do want what I want. Theoretically, I want the things that will make me most like myself... that's what's important to me. Being me. But it's hard to feel like me when I'm just floating. Maybe that's why I'm so bothered by this feeling. I'm afraid of floating to a place that's not me. I just want to be what I am, and not what I'm not.

2 comments:

the art of being ______ said...

[hugs]

you will be who you are, no matter if you are floating or sinking or standing ... seriously, katie. i've never met anyone more consistently themselves than you are.

it's just scary to go away for awhile.

Steve Mitchell said...

What do you think will happen it you stop telling the mayonnaise story?
Haha.

I second Ammi's comment. I don't think you can not be you.