Monday, March 16, 2009

Threeeeeee.

Today was heavy, man.
I wrote a blog about today for the official trip blog, so I won't bother restating everything I said. If you're reaaaally interested, here's a link. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/topic.php?uid=38681792579&topic=9588

But we went to the Western Wall and prayed and watched a couple Bar Mitzphah's, which was cool. Then we trekked up Mount Zion to where the bus was parked, only to realize that two of our girls were missing, and were back at the Wall. We then proceeded to Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Museum, which was one of the most intense, emotional, heartbreaking experiences of my life.

My conclusion about today is this: I should be more careful about what I think. Before coming I was SO anti-Zionism, I thought it was racist and irrelevant and un-biblical. But after being here and listening to people talk about it, and particularly after Yad Vashem, I have come to the conclusion that I should pause to think and consider. Maybe it's a more complicated issue than I had assumed. In any case, I'm more emotionally involved in the issue after today.

Pictures!

Men praying at the Wall. Women weren't allowed on that side, we had our own little piece of the Wall. The boys' side was bigger :P

this is our tour guide, Jane, who was originally from England, but has spent the last 30 years (from college onward) in Jerusalem, which gives her a crazy weird accent. Then, Ms. Rina, Dr. van der Laan's wife, and my favorite lady. And Ryan.

Yad Vashem was the most beautifully set up museum or memorial I've ever seen. It's almost like a huge concrete tunnel, you walk through the exhibits and by the end your heart is so heavy. But then you come out the other end into this bright white light and look out over Jerusalem. The gray triangle is kind of the backside of the museum.

1 comment:

Steve Mitchell said...

Sounds/looks like you're having a good time, and that's good to hear/see.

I miss you Katie, enjoy your time there, but hurry back.