Friday, March 20, 2009

Here's a lil update.

Tuesday we went up into the northern country and went on a couple hikes and saw some ancient ruins. We also saw the borders of Syria and Lebanon, and got to hear a lot about modern Israeli history and conflicts. Cool stuff.

Wednesday we went to the Israel Museum and saw a huge model of the ancient city. You wouldn't believe how enormous the Temple was when it was standing. Incredible. The height of the dome of the rock fits inside the doorway. We also saw some of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and got to spend a while in a synagogue, talking to the hazzan (like an assistant-Rabbi/worship leader).

Yesterday we spent the day in Tel Aviv, which was a huge contrast to Jerusalem. It's just a modern city with all the things you expect a modern city to have. We did, however, see some of Jaffa, the ancient city that Tel Aviv was built next to. And we saw the Mediterranean sea.

Things are going well. Everyone's settling in, we're getting to know eachother, and no one's been fighting. All I can ask for. AND I successfully downloaded Lost. So life is good. But I haven't watched it yet, so don't say anything :)

I've also decided that I want to learn Arabic. The end. I just need to find a program or a school or something where I can learn. Worst case scenario, I guess I could just do the Rosetta Stone thing, but that's expensive and I'm not sure if I could really teach it to myself like that. Anyway. I miss you all at home, I hope life is good.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hey! I want to learn Arabic too! (Which is one of the reasons I'm hoping to join the Navy)