Tuesday, February 24, 2009

9 dollar Free Pancakes.

First blog in over a week! yay!

All I really have to say is that I've decided what I'm doing for Lent this year. I was thinking about giving up sweets (oh my god, how hard would THAT be? I'm an awful snacker) BUT, as I'm going to Israel, I figured there would be 1) instances where I'd like to try local things that are sweets 2) not too many instances where I'd have access to a lot of snackfood.

So! I've decided that instead of giving up something, I'd take action. For Lent I'm going to be committed to journaling. Like, in a journal. I've always been a terrible journal-er, I can never keep it up. But I think it's a good practice, it'll be good for me and it'll give me some time every day to have some introspection and whatnot. And it'll be great when I'm in Israel too :)

By the way, that's like, two weeks away. Holy crap. I'm pretty excited about the idea of travelling so far. But it's starting to make me sad that I'll be gone from here for five weeks... I'll miss you. And as I'm reading through the textbooks, I'm getting discouraged a little. I'm a weeeee bit sickened by the overwhelming anti-palestinian political leanings of some of the students at SEU. And I have to write a book report on this book "the Promised Land: prophecy and the future of Israel blah blah blah" that was really rough. I'm all about history and ancient things and different cultures (particularly middle eastern cultures) but I'm not down for any "Jerusalem is heaven, let's kick out all the infidels" crap.

Speaking of book reports: I have seven books to read before I go. And sneakers to buy. And bags to pack. I should clean my room before I leave. And I hope I get to watch Lost.

I want to go to there.

2 comments:

char said...

i want to go to there. haha.

"free" pancakes, yep.

katie, i'm so excited that you are going to israel. but i will miss you greatly.

Chris said...

Oh my goodness I have never been more glad to be your friend. One of the simplest and most powerful contributing forces to today's problems in the Middle East is the Biblical illiteracy that has convinced millions of people that the Jews have always owned Israel. Gah! Who knew Sunday school would bring about war? Good luck with the prophesy stuff... ugh.