Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Greetings from the other side.

Life has been exciting the past few days, haha. I really expected life to go on being the same after 18, but it has been an eventful couple days in this new 18th year of my life. There's more you can do (buy cigarettes, buy lottery tickets, buy R rated movie tickets for underaged friends, stay out all night) all of which I've done. And people really do treat you differently. Even in the eyes of my friends I've somehow changed, clicked over into a new stage in life. Well, hello, I am here, and it's pretty cool.

But I kinda want to throw up cause I didn't sleep last night and all I had in my belly was 3 shots of espresso and a banana. But it's been fantastic, surreal, and nifty in general. Things will die down, I'm sure, but still I am pleasantly surprised by 18. I have a lot of hope and anticipation about this coming year, it has a lot of potential. A part of me aches that I'll never be a kid again... even at 17 I felt more like a kid than I do now. It's just legality, I know, but the way people treat you generally dictates how you feel about yourself. I don't feel like a kid anymore. My parents bought me nice perfume for my birthday, which I've never had, so now I even smell like a lady. Adulthood has never seemed so close... but to everything turn, turn, turn, right?

For some reason I remembered the Flaming Lips song "Do You Realize?" and sang it to Jade yesterday. Those lyrics are so everlasting, eternal, but still remind you of the finiteness of our lives, y'know? "Everyone you know someday will die, but instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know you realize that lives moves fast, it's hard to make the good things last, you realize the sun doesn't do down, it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round." So maybe time isn't really passing the way I think... maybe I have all the time in the world to be a kid and be an adult and whatever is in between. The point is to make them good, golden moments. And I've had quite a few the last couple days :)

No comments: