Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Where the heart is...

I'm absolutely overflowing with emotions right now. This has been an insane couple days. Less than two days ago I was in Jerusalem, walking the city walls, slipping on the limestone, eating falafel, chilling out on the roof with good friends and a bag of sunflower seeds. It was the most glorious time. That city is incredible, and I didn't realize just how much I'd miss it. Getting to wake up every day and see the white limestone skyline of the old city... I was so privileged.

Now I expect to hear Hebrew, to see dark skin and hair, to feel humbled by my alien-ness. Driving back into Lakeland and having lunch at Moe's–which had always felt like home–was strange today. I was almost uncomfortable, in a way. But coming home. That's another story. Being greeted by the happy yips of my dog, smelling my house's smell, the openness and brightness of our Florida home, setting foot in my room again–that was fantastic. I'm so glad I have a home to come to–and I can't imagine anyone loving home more than I do.

Always take the opportunity to travel–getting away from routine changes you. I received more than a tan in Jerusalem. But I hope that you all always have a home to go to, whether it's a house or a person, everyone needs a harbour to come back to.

1 comment:

laurialigns said...

Oh, Katie. This is why I love you. :)